Monday, August 16, 2010

Waste Not, Want Not

After my adventures this weekend, I have decided that this phrase definitely originated in the Mexican kitchen. I've always heard that Americans are relatively uncreative with their use of animal products (thanks Upton) but i didn't really believe it until coming to Mexico. I spent the weekend with my host family and they are all about making sure that I am exposed to new foods, places, and words which is excellent and definitely leads to some interesting experiences.
Here's the list of new foods that I tried this weekend:
nana (it has something to do with udders, maybe pig?)- the sign language involved to explain this one was FANTASTIC
some variety of cooked pig skin (like chicherrones but soft)

sesos de borrago (lamb brain)

lengua de borrago (lamb tongue)

panza (related to a lamb's digestive tract- maybe stomach?)

mezcal (liquor similar to tequila that I sampled *host mom approved* at a market stand)
tuna (fruit from nopal cactus plant)- NOT the fish
pan dulce con queso- sweet bread with cream cheese-ish stuff inside

amaranto/alegria- amaranth is a type of grain, the second name literally means happiness. It's really popular in ricecake looking things made with honey, I think.
homemade coconut paleta (popsicle, also used for lollipop)
guanabana- sweet fruit that looks like an avocado-pineapple hybrid

As you might have noticed, there's a general theme of "I don't know what this is but I'll just eat it anyways" in my current diet. This might not be the best idea I've ever had, but I'm doing it anyways! My general philosophy is that as long as the establishment isn't too sketchy and the food is local-ish/prepared fresh, it can't be that bad. And so far it's working out pretty well for me.

And that brings me to the other aspect of Mexican food that's really exciting- everything is locally sourced! The lamb barbecue place re visited slaughters their lambs on the spot and barbecues them right there where you can see it. Roadside taco stands start the tortillas from scratch after you order. Fresh produce(WalMart doesn't count) is all grown in Mexico and is super cheap and tastes 100x's better than store-bought. Barbara would be so proud!* Obviously, I've given up on the vegetarian thing I was trying for a while, partially because it's easier, partially for the adventure, and in large part because I trust the source more here than I trust McDonald's meat source. Again, that might not be completely valid, but from what I've seen restaurants process their own meat and have large animal parts in the fridge, not Styrofoam trays.

Anyways, it was a very satisfying, if not strange, weekend of culinary ventures and I had a great time getting to know my host family better. Here's a photo:
*Animal, Vegetable, Miracle reference- read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment