Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Rain in Spain Falls Mainly on the Plain

But in Puebla it just falls everywhere. Every day. A lot. After a week and some odd days of being here (DIOS MIO has it only been a week?!?! it feels like a lifetime), I have almost mastered the skill of packing an umbrella every day. Sidenote vocab lesson: umBRElla= paraguas. I'm not sure what UMbrella is in Spanish, however. Anyways, today I was sitting in the library, reading my homework and waiting out the rain, and reminiscing about the first week of freshman year when IN got hit by the edge of a hurricane or something equally as ridiculous. We ran around campus stomping in puddles and ended up Slip N'Sliding on the South Quad swamp. That is about what happens here every day between the hours of about 4PM and 8PM. Minus the abnormal weather patterns and childhood throwbacks.

Speaking of classes, my schedule is FINALLY finalized. I won't go into details because it will just give everyone migraines and emotional breakdowns. Again. The International Office definitely caused some problems and tried to win back our affection with free t-shirts. It worked for me!
Anyways, I have successfully attended all of my classes in all the right classrooms at all the right times. Win.

Here's the rundown:

Fisica General & Laboratorio General Physics and Lab
This is going to be painful- 50 min class EVERY DAY
Literatura espanola del Siglo de Oro Spanish Literature of the Golden Age
I'm not that excited for the subject matter but the professor is fantastically European!
Cultura mexicana Mexican culture (why did I translate that for you?)
This will be really helpful and super interesante as well.


Medicina familiar y comunitaria Family & Community Medicine
This class is in the Medical School technically which is a little intimidating but all the students are 19 or 20.
Overall, I have had a very good first impression of my classes and professors, should be a good semester (understatement? I think so.)

The other great success of the day was really a two-part adventure. A friend of a suitemate told me about a secret little grocery store near campus so I went on an adventure with an ND/Puebla friend. We scored fresh fruit and veggies, eggs, fresh mozzarella (think huge roll of string cheese but better), tortillas, and rice. So suck it WalMart! We're supporting small local business!

Anyways, on the way back, after admiring a sidewalk shrine for Our Lady of Guadalupe, we stopped at a taco stand for comida. We figured any neighbor of our friends at Tacos Israel is a friend of ours and man, was that a good assumption! We had tacos with blue corn tortillas and ended up ordering seconds. Secretly I think there was some small-child-mentality making me think it was better because it was blue but I don't care. It was heavenly.

So in reality this post was mostly about not-rain. But it secretly controls a good part of the day's schedule, wardrobe and accessories. So in a way it's everything. I guess it'll keep me inside with my homework...
Campus is beautiful, here are some more pictures!






No comments:

Post a Comment