Friday, June 10, 2011

In the sun

This week has had its fair share of challenges, both real and imagined. It was not an easy week and felt like at least a year. As I lay in the hammock in my host family's backyard, happy to have survived the week, I thought of a salsa song that is both catchy and a reminder of the small joys in life. Here I am, in one of the most beautiful cities of a fantastically unique country. I'm surrounded by some of the most caring people I've ever met and some of the most delicious food I've ever met. The sun is out every day without fail, leaving the evenings warm and breezy. Although it sometimes feels more like a bombardment than a blessing, someone is speaking Spanish everywhere I turn. In comparison, a few weeks ago I was strategically seating myself in the library just to overhear the Latino kids' conversation. Not because I was particularly interested in what they were saying but in how they were saying it. I might be biased but Spanish is a beautiful language, whether you understand it or not.

And while I've only been here a week, there are only 7 left. So in the coming weeks I'm going to open my eyes, look up, and enjoy the good things in life. Like fresh cantaloupe juice for breakfast. And wristwatch tans. And Mexican men merrily shouting ¡güerita! as I walk by. Because yes sir, I am a white girl. Muchisimas gracias. And finally, the ridiculous things that bus drivers deem worthy of decoration in their camiones, like this poem:
Si comes cualquier chacharita,
No tires su basurita.
Si son pepitas
¡Cómete las cascaritas!
Mostly it just says to take care of your trash if you eat a snack on the bus. And if your snack of choice is sunflower seeds, you'd better eat the shells too. And it only rhymes because there's a diminutive at the end of every word. Viva.Mexico.
Finally finally, this has been my jam this week. Disfruta!
YouTube - In the sun (Joseph Arthur)

No comments:

Post a Comment