Saturday, May 28, 2011

Regresamos

In exactamente one week, I will be on an ADO bus somewhere between Mexico City and Oaxaca. The reality of my summer plans didn't really hit until about 2 days ago, about an hour after I finished taking the MCAT. Anyone who knows me well knows that I internalize stress in strange ways and become a grumpy recluse (Katie Buetow is a saint for putting up with this for 3 years). I was so wrapped up in periodic motion and acid-base chemistry that I forgot to appreciate being home. As part of my denial-about-leaving-in-a-week routine I've imagined 294 things that could go wrong before I get to Oaxaca. I'm realizing how much of my study abroad experience was defined by Team Puebla '10 and the sense of security that comes with group travel. I could fall asleep on the bus without worrying about my neighbor stealing my bag (although Erica is quite the clepto). We could vent in English and always had built-in taxi buddies.

In contrast, this is very much a solo adventure. I am a planner at heart and like to have control over the future. Accepting that I don't in this situation is killing me. I vaguely know that my host mom is named Mercedes and that I'll be working with Puente a la Salud Comunitaria, a public health organization with a focus on nutrition education. Aaaaand that's about it.

I might end up handwashing my laundry. I don't know.
I might end up learning some indigenous languages. I don't know.
I might end up with more free time that I've had since I was in kindergarten. I don't know.
I might end up searching out internet in strange places, like McDonalds. I don't know.

Despite my scattered worrying, I'm terribly excited. I'm excited for street markets, elotes, buses, ridiculously painted buildings, and Mexican Spanish. I'm excited to move at ahorita pace, to have freetime, to get my Spanish fluency on, and maybe to learn something about myself.

1 comment: